Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day...

Today being Father's Day, I have seen many people on TV, heard many things over the radio and read many different post and articles over the web that indicates that we are living in a time where it is not common for a father to willingly father their child. So as many of outlets have concluded, those that fall short are not really fathers. Yes, it takes more than the ability to procreate to be a father. One guy posted on his FB status that "Father is a verb"- meaning you must be willing to BE a father and act out the role of a father. With all this I must say that I am very fortunate that I have a dad who was always willing to be a father. Even though I am only 23, I cannot recall a time in which my dad wasn't willing to father us. My sister and I were constantly loved and taught by both parents.

When we were young my parents considered themselves to be "poor" but my sister and I would have never known it. They didn't deny us much and were constantly active in our childhood. A common story of mine; when I was about 3 or 4 my dad would take us camping on Fridays or sometime during the weekend. We would roast marshmallows in the crackling fire, eat fresh berries and listen to him tell stories. We had old fashion fun. It wasn't until I got older (around middle school) that I realized that we didn't go camping at all, we were just in the living room in front of the fireplace with blankets to sleep in. At the time we loved it, we didn't know the difference and my dad was there spending quality time with us, that 20 years later, I still vividly remember. As a family we would go down to the park and play on the play scape, he would chase us, play tag, push us on the swing and in the summer months go swimming with us. On a side note my dad has probably taught more kids to swim than Micheal Phelps. Our early childhood was filled with memories of my dad actively participating in our upbringing. I've seen toddlers that do not really care
for their father. I am foreign to that, my dad was my hero and I recall crying myself to sleep when he worked nights or overtime and wasn't home before we had to go to bed. The only thing that made me feel somewhat better was going in his drawer and taking his shirt and sleeping with it to have his smell. Then he would come in and give us a kiss when he got home.

If you ever met my dad, or been in his room in their house, you know that my dad is no dummy, he didn't raise any either. My parents, including my dad if not mainly my dad, spent a good deal of time trying to educate us. When we lived in our first house we had the entire alphabet on wall paper trimming the room. He would read to us at night, taught us how to spell our name, our phone number and our address before we went to kindergarten. My dad was intent on us knowing the upcoming years material before going to school. When we watched television it wasn't Spongebob Squarepants, it was Bill Nye the Science Guy, Reading Rainbow, Magic School Bus, Scooby Doo, etc. Yes, there were some Tom and Jerry, Looney Toons, etc. however, those shows were not as mindless as a sponge living in the ocean and they were supplemented by educational programs. We had science labs, toys we had to build, magic sets, computer games that taught us logic, math and science; Gizmos and Gadgets. It wasn't all fun and games, but he would make learning enjoyable. Sometimes we would be privy to his schemes of trying to educate us and we would refuse, my dad would wise us and go a different route (especially for me), he would see how fast he could do it, then I would be begging to race him to beat him.

My dad would also teach us physical activities, not only swimming but also riding a bicycle, fishing, roller skate. etc.. As we got older and into sports, my dad who only played baseball, karate and some boxing while in the Air Force, would teach us the game or sport we were trying to learn. We played basketball, volleyball, cross country, and track and field. My dad would become trainer, coach, fan, and cheerleader. He was there at every game, and a camera that was sure to record the ceiling and/ or the floor more than the actual game.

When it came to school in his participation with school activities, if we asked he was there; from field trips to career days to anything we had planned. I had to interview someone for a project and do a presentation of the interview and what they do for a living. I used my dad, since we would go up to his job on the weekends and play at the warehouse while he worked. He walked me through that process to many times, that I cannot even recall. I not only interviewed him, but he came and brought a touchscreen that he built at his job. It was 1995-96 and touchscreens were sci-fi in this time period. He was not just the only interviewee that came but he was the coolest one. My dad's father died when he was 14 or 16 years old from a heart attack. Once I learned told me that it can be heredity I feared that my dad might die while I was young, so every time he came up to the school (and I wasn't in trouble) I would give him a kiss when he left. Regardless of who was around, I had my dad and he was a good one so I had no problem giving him a kiss on the cheek to show my appreciation of him.

Now that we are adults, my dad is still there for us whenever we need him. He has bailed us out of situations, he has come to the hospital for us, taken us to the hospital, spent countless of dollars on us, taught me how to drive a stick, help me buy my 1st car and is always trying to educate us. Though we are no longer minors my dad realizes that being a Father is not a part-time gig nor something that lasts for
18 years. It is an all-time position and a lifetime appointment. To that I thank him.

I see in movies and every now and again I will hear people say that they do not want to be like their father, I am not only like my father but embrace it. I have a heart for kids, but I will not be ran by a child. I have a passion to learn even if it doesn't count for college credits. I am a one woman man. I am willing to help those around me and do for them what I can. I am a critical thinker and a problem solver. I pray that my kids would appreciate me as much as I appreciate my father.

I am in no way saying that my dad did it by himself or that he was perfect, but he did his best and I would be a fool to wish I wasn't like him. My dad is a great example of a father and how a dad should father their children. Happy Father's Day, Howard M. Little, Sr!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Howard, I just wanted to say that I'm so glad that you are blessed with such a great dad. He did a wonderful job raising you and I'm sure he's proud of the man that you've become. I only wish that every child could have such a positive experience growing up. I'd like to say thank you to your dad, for helping raise someone who I feel lucky to call my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... Thank you, Kerri. You are an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Son, I have read your tribute to your father and I agree 100%. God could not have picked a more perfect father for our children and mate for me. After 26 years of marriage, it is truly a blessing from God that we have accomplished so much together and our greatest accomplishment is our children and our grandson. Thank you son for recognizing that you have a pretty special Dad. Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete